Noi folosim cookie-uri pentru a vă oferi cea mai bună experiență posibilă. Prin utilizarea site-ul nostru sunteti de acord cu termenii de utilizare a cookie-uri, în conformitate cu politica noastră de cookie. More
Sunt deacord
 
 
 

Stephansdom in Wien

The oldest remaining parts of Saint Stephen's, the Giant Gate (Riesentor) and the Towers of the Heathens (Heidentürme) are in Romanesque style and date from the 13th century. Duke Rudolph IV of Habsburg ordered the complete restructuring of the church in Gothic style (this and the establishment of the University earned him the sobriquet the Founder) and, in 1359, laid the cornerstone of the nave with its two aisles. The South Tower (Südturm), 448 feet high, was completed in 1433 (the Viennese have given it the nickname Steffl, which also denotes the whole cathedral). In 1469, Emperor Frederick III, who was later buried in the cathedral, persuaded the Pope to make Vienna, until then under the spiritual guidance of Passau, an independent diocese. After 1511, building of the North Tower (Nordturm), 224 feet high, ceased; the unfinished Gothic tower was capped with a makeshift Renaissance spire from 1556 to 1578.
During the 17th and 18th century, the cathedral was decorated with Baroque altarpieces - the panel of the main altar shows the stoning of its namesake St. Stephen, the first martyr of Christendom. In the final days of World War II, the church was virtually gutted by fire. The people of Vienna and all of the Austrian states contributed to the reconstruction, and the cathedral was reopened in 1948.
St. Stephen's Cathedral, Austria's most eminent Gothic edifice, houses a wealth of art treasures, some of which can only be seen during a guided tour: the red-marble sepulcher of Emperor Frederick III, sculpted from 1467 to 1513 by Niclas Gerhaert van Leyden; the pulpit, a work from 1514-15 by Anton Pilgram (who put his own relief portrait underneath it as his signature); the Altarpiece of Wiener Neustadt (Neustädter Altar), a Gothic winged altar from 1147 - and the tomb of Prince Eugene of Savoy, dating from 1754.
In the North Tower, Austria's largest bell, known as the Boomer Bell (Pummerin), has found its home (there is an express elevator to the observation platform - skip this great view if you are afraid of heights!): the forerunner of this giant bell was cast from the material oft the Turkish guns left behind in the retreat ending the siege of 1683 and was suspended in the South Tower; in the fire of 1945, it fell and shattered; the new bell, with a diameter of more than 10 feet and a weight of more than 47,000 pounds, is only rung on very special occasions, such as to mark midnight on New Year's Eve.
Next to the North Tower elevator is the entrance to the catacombs, underneath the cathedral, an underground burial place which contains the mausoleum of the bishops, the tombs of Duke Rudolph the Founder and 14 other members of the Habsburg family, and 56 urns with the intestines of the Habsburgs which died between 1564 and 1878. Imperial Burial Vault.
In the South Tower, the 343 steps of a tight spiral staircase lead up to the watchman's lookout 246 feet above street level; it was once used as a fire warden's station but now serves as an observation point.

 Die Baugeschichte der Dom- und Metropolitankirche St. Stephan beginnt im 12. Jh. Vom ältesten Bau ist nichts erhalten, vom 2., spätromanischen Bau /1230-1263) stammt noch die Westfassade mit dem Riesentor und den Heidentürmen. 1304 bis 1340 entstand mit dem Albertinischen Hallenchor der erste Teil des gotischen Neubaus; Herzog Rudolf IV. von Habsburg, genannt der Stifter, legte 1359 den Grundstein zum spätgotischen Erweiterungsbau: neues, vergrößertes Langhaus, gotische Türme. Der Südturm, das 136,7 m hohe und von den Wienern „Steffl“ genannte Wahrzeichen der Stadt, wurde 1433 fertiggestellt. 1469 erreichte Kaiser Friedrich III. vom Papst, daß Wien (bis dahin zu Passau gehörig) ein eigenes Bistum wurde; der Kaiser ist im Dom bestattet. Nach 1511 wurde die Arbeit am Nordturm eingestellt, der unfertige gotische Turm (68,3 m hoch) erhielt 1556 bis 1578 einen Abschluß im Renaissancestil. Die daraus resultierende frappante Asymmetrie der Türme gibt dem Stephansdom sein charakteristisches Aussehen.

Im 17. und 18. Jh. wurde der Dom mit barocken Altären ausgestattet; das Hochaltarbild von Tobias Pock (um 1646/47) zeigt die Steinigung des heiligen Stephan, des ersten Märtyrers der Christenheit und Namenspatrons der Kirche. In den letzten Tagen des Zweiten Weltkrieges wurde der Dom durch einen Brand sehr schwer beschädigt. Am Wiederaufbau beteiligten sich alle österreichischen Bundesländer. 1948 wurde der Dom feierlich wiedereröffnet.

Der Stephansdom, Österreichs bedeutendstes gotisches Bauwerk, beherbergt eine Reihe von Kunstschätzen, die teilweise nur im Rahmen einer Führung besichtigt werden können. Darunter das 1467 bis1513 von Niclas Gerhaert von Leyden errichtete Grabmal Kaiser Friedrichs III. aus rotem Marmor; die von Anton Pilgram um 1500 geschaffene Kanzel und der ebenfalls von ihm stammende Orgelfuß (1513) im nördlichen Seitenschiff (an beiden Werken befindet sich auch ein Selbstporträt des Künstlers); der „Wiener Neustädter Altar“, ein gotischer Flügelaltar aus dem Jahr 1447; das Grabmal des Prinzen Eugen von Savoyen aus dem Jahr 1754; nicht zu vergessen, der reiche plastische Schmuck an den Pfeilern im Inneren und am Außenbau.

Im Nordturm (Schnellaufzug zur Aussichtsplattform) hängt die (neue) Pummerin, die größte Glocke Österreichs. Die Riesenglocke wurde ursprünglich nach der Türkenbelagerung 1683 aus dem Erz der erbeuteten Geschütze gegossen und hing im Südturm. Beim Brand des Domes 1945 stürzte sie zu Boden und zerbrach. die neue Pummerin (314 cm Durchmesser, 21.383 kg schwer) wird nur bei besonders festlichen Anlässen (z.B. Jahreswechsel) geläutet.

Neben dem Aufzug des Nordturmes Abgang zu den Katakomben (einstige unterirdische Begräbnisstätten) mit der Bischofsgruft, den Sarkophagen Herzog Rudolfs des Stifters und weiterer Habsburger sowie den Urnen mit den Eingeweiden von Mitgliedern des Hauses Habsburg, die zwischen 1564 und 1878 verstorben sind. Kaisergruft.

Im Südturm führt eine enge Wendeltreppe zur 72 m hoch gelegenen Türmerstube (früher Feuerwache, jetzt Aussichtspunkte).


 
EN DE CZ
REZERVARE LOGIN



Contact

Gerstner Hotels & Residences
1010 Viena, Hessgasse 7


Tel.: +43 1 316 65 2900
Fax: +43 1 316 65 2269

GERSTNER Facebook

Write to us

Alte Hotels